Jobs and Work Experience
Updated January 2019
Highton Veterinary Clinic
Second in Charge
Applications Close: 10th Feb 2019
We are looking for an experienced, qualified veterinary nurse who would love to join our ever-growing dedicated team.
The successful candidate will work Wednesdays & Thursdays (9 hr) shifts each week and 3 in 5 Saturday (7.5hr) shifts. The ideal candidate would also be able to fill in holiday leave hours as required.
At Highton Veterinary Clinic we live by our core values and have developed a strong clinic culture that means:
- Animals come first
- We’re all in this together so teamwork is a must
- Opportunities for Growth and Learning are available and encouraged
- We like to have Fun whilst providing an Exceptional Customer Experience.
We are a fast paced, large clinic (that keeps on growing!) and are looking for the person that will fit into our team. At Highton Vet Clinic you will work with senior clinical vets with varied special interests to help you advance your skills. We actively encourage you to continue your education through workshops and courses. You will learn to promote preventative medicine together with healing. Your week will be varied with consults, radiography, surgery and dentistry. You are supported by a large nursing and reception team and will be part of a team that is constantly moving forward.
Responsibilities of the Position:
- Supervise Day Flow
- Assist with medical and surgical cases
- Provide excellent and compassionate customer service to our clients
- Perform blood collection, lab work, instruments cleaning and IV catheterisation
- Patient management, feeding, toileting, bathing and care
- Assist surgeons in theatre
- Assist with nurse triage or nurse consultations
- Monitor anaesthesia during surgery and recovery
We are looking for someone who has:
- Minimum of 3-5 years of surgical nursing experience inc. anaesthesia monitoring, in theatre
- Exceptional time management and organisational skills
- Minimum Certificate IV or equivalent
- Exceptional customer service and strong communication skills
- Highly motivated, strong work ethic, empathetic, mature and responsible with a can-do attitude
- Ability to take responsibility and follow task through
- Previous supervisory experience preferred
Apply For This Role
2 Veterinary Surgeons needed to add to our already great team!
Highton Veterinary Clinic – WORK EXPERIENCE
Highton Veterinary Clinic provides work experience opportunities for students offering meaningful, relevant and practical experience of working in a busy veterinary practice. We offer short term work placements for veterinary nurses or veterinary science students allowing an insight into the industry and the workplace in their chosen vocation.
We only offer these placements as part of a recognised program or course of study and include:
- TAFE work experience programs or compulsory industry placements for veterinary nurses
- University professional experience programs or compulsory industry placements for veterinary students or veterinary nurses.
- Currently the clinic does not provide opportunities for school based work experience.
The clinic only offers placements from April through to October in any yearly cycle. We can accommodate and supervise one student at a time without compromising the operation of the clinic or the quality of experience for the student.
TAFE veterinary nurse students will be accepted for block placement and not on a day-per-week arrangement. University student placements will be to a maximum of 2 weeks.
Voluntary Work Experience
Occasionally Highton Veterinary Clinic may offer opportunities for suitable applicants to participate in volunteer work experience.
This occurs when a person volunteers their services without pay, for the purpose of improving their work-related skills. Voluntary work experience does not form part of a recognised work experience program.
All requests for work experience placements must be accompanied by the appropriate documentation from the relevant educational institution or organisation. To determine suitability for placement, applicants will be required to attend an interview before being accepted.
For more details please contact the Practice Manager at either of the following:
- Highton Vet Clinic, POBox 6285, Highton, Vic 3216, or